Walking is free and a wonderful way to explore the spectacular Kerry scenery. Valentia Island, being right on the edge of Europe is ideally situated for those who want to get out and take a leisurely stroll or for those who enjoy a greater challenge. Atlantic Villa has been awarded Failte Ireland’s “Walkers Welcome” which offers walkers and hikers local knowledge and maps, storage facilities, free use of sauna, a dry place to hang wet clothing, an outdoor washing line and a packed lunch (extra charge). There is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing!
There is a great variety of walks available on Valentia Island, enjoy the beauty of the landscape whilst getting some exercise. Listed below are a couple of options. See links below for more details and maps.
- Altazamuth Walk
- Knightstown Looped Walk (3 Roads walk)
- Strand Walk
- Glanleam – Lighthouse Loop Walk
- Chapel Road Walk
Looped walks and climbs
- Bray Head, on Valentia Island
- Emlagh, Ballinaskelligs, 15 mins away
- Bolus head, Ballinaskelligs, 15 mins away
- Beentee, Caherciveen, 20 mins away
See link to these walks on the Wild Atlantic Way website
- Cnoc na dTobar, Caherciveen, 30 mins away is a Pilgrim Path with stunning views
Ireland’s highest mountain is less than an hour’s drive. See link for further details