The smell of home baking and the wood burning stove greets the visitor, along with a warm welcome from Jackie and Brian. This historic Cablemaster’s house is a 4* B&B with views over the ornamental garden and the sea to the mountains. The flower beds are a riot of colour. Fruit, vegetables, edible flowers and herbs for the table grow in the kitchen garden. The hives for the honey bees and free range chickens play their part. The offerings for breakfast include fresh eggs, scallops, sun dried tomatoes and apples, myrtle berries, cape gooseberries, home grown grapes, brown soda bread with seaweed, fresh fruit salad, garden herbs, homemade jams, Atlantic Villa honey and the full Irish. An interesting, seasonal breakfast menu caters for a variety of tastes.
Every room is sumptuous – layers of soft bedding and luxury, quality and attention to detail the hallmark of each bedroom which is individually decorated. The house itself with pine floors is an elegant high-ceilinged Cable house which was built in 1873. James Graves who was the first superintendent of the Valentia Cable Station and worked for the Anglo American Telegraph Company for 44 years, lived at Atlantic Villa, would also have enjoyed this old world charm. Valentia Island, being the most westerly inhabited in Europe was the ideal location for the terminus of all European communications using the transatlantic cable. So every message crossing the Atlantic passed through this station under the supervision of James Graves.
Guests are not surprised to hear that Atlantic Villa is the proud recipient of the Green Tourism Gold Award and The Travellers Choice award by Tripadvisor. Brian was awarded the winner of the Valentia Island King Scallop festival cook–off. Visitors consider the location, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean yet secluded in its own private garden, and choose it as the place to stay to enjoy the real “Irish experience.”
Tour Atlantic Villa
Click and drag below to tour the Cablemaster’s Residence
Click and drag below to explore a 360° tour of Atlantic Villa B&B
Breakfast @ Atlantic Villa
Guests really savour the flavours of The Atlantic Villa breakfasts. Fresh ingredients from the chickens, honey bees and the garden are gathered daily by Brian. Choices include a traditional Irish breakfast along with a wide variety of seasonal suggestions. The tastes of Jackie’s homemade brown soda bread with seaweed, locally sourced fish, garden fruit and salads and Atlantic Villa jams and preserves are enjoyed by guests each morning at the breakfast table.
Sample Breakfast Menu
- A buffet with a selection of cereals, muesli with our own dried fruit, garden fresh fruit salad, local Valentia Island farmhouse yoghurt and real Canadian maple syrup.
- Freshly ground coffee, a variety of herbal teas, juice, toast and homemade brown soda bread with seaweed.
— — — — And a choice of — — — —
- Full Irish Breakfast – Sausages, bacon, fresh egg from one of our own hens, grilled Atlantic Villa tomato topped with goat cheese, black and white puddings and mushrooms.
- Smoked Salmon – Scrambled eggs and locally smoked salmon with goat cheese and our own fresh garden salad.
- Frittata – Open faced omelette, with salsa, mushrooms and peppers, our sundried tomatoes. Topped with olives and a choice of cheddar or goat cheese. Accompanied by dried apples and salad from the garden.
- Power breakfast – Boiled egg (free range from one of our hens) and a homemade high fibre breakfast muffin made with fruit, nuts, chia seeds, muesli and cinnamon with a zest of orange. Served with homemade jam.
- Light breakfast – Fruit compote – rhubarb from our garden served on a bed of yoghurt, toasted granola and drizzled with Atlantic Villa honey and maple syrup and topped with nuts and a chocolate mint leaf. Served with a boiled egg from one of our own hens.
- Smoked mackerel – In house Atlantic Villa smoked mackerel served with a scrambled egg. Accompanied by a garden salad.
- Valentia Island Scallop – Served on the shell, resting on a bed of bacon and accompanied by freshly picked garden salad.
- Eggs Wild Atlantic Way – Hot buttered potato rosti, cured Irish ham, bed of baby spinach leaves and poached egg are topped with a heavenly drizzle of hollandaise sauce with French tarragon. Accompanied by our fresh garden salad.
Some of our Packages
Stay at Atlantic Villa and experience the darkest skies in the Northern Hemisphere
A little Romance
Bottle of wine and local Valentia Island handmade “Oileán” chocolates waiting for you in your room. Fresh flowers and a welcome note. The following morning enjoy a special “Time for two” private breakfast in the library. Must be booked in advance and subject to availability.
€35 for two
Time for Two
Enjoy the treat of having special private breakfast for two served in the library bay view window. Sip a glass of Prosecco and fresh orange juice. Must be booked in advance and subject to availability.
€20 for two
2 nights B&B at Atlantic Villa with 1 evening meal and a glass of wine at Royal Valentia Hotel. In the evening head out to gaze at the stars armed with warm blankets, and drinks, information on the night sky and Apps to download. Ideal places suggested for you or just sit back and star gaze on one of the garden chairs.
From €110 pps
“A real Wild Atlantic Way experience”
Includes 2 nights B&B in our Superior Sea View Room, sauna and seaweed bath experience on afternoon of day 2.
€250 for 2 sharing
What We Offer
We can provide suitable storage for your bikes so they are not exposed to the wilder elements of the West Coast climate!
Treat yourself to an Atlantic Villa Packed Lunch to take with you on your adventure – whether it’s hiking, a boat trip, angling, hitting the beach or finding the perfect picnic spot on Valentia Island!
Freshly made sandwiches with ham, cheese, tomato, onion and Atlantic Villa garden salad, fruit, bottled water and Oileán chocolates for EUR8 per person.
Hot Drinks Facilities
Treat yourself to a cuppa just how you like – our sitting room is stocked with Irish tea, herbal tea or coffee, milk, sugar, kettle and cups so you can brew a hot drink just as you like and relax in the sitting room.
Library and TV room
Relax by the open fire and enjoy the view from the bay window overlooking Valentia Harbour and Beginis Island or immerse yourself in a good book from our well-stocked library.
Free wi-fi access throughout the main house
Sauna available on the grounds to relax and revitalise your body after a day of exploring Valentia Island and the Skellig Coast on the Wild Atlantic Way
Curl up in front of the stove in the sitting room after a day exploring the Skellig Coast and Valentia Island
Sea views from the house or garden – experience the Wild Atlantic Way overlooking Valentia Harbour, Beginis Island and Valentia Lighthouse @ Cromwell Point. Why not kick back in the garden chairs or the arm chairs and soak up the scenery?
Free Parking on Premises
Free off-street parking accommodating cars, bicycles and motorbikes
Bootroom and Drying Line
We have a bootroom and drying area available for your use to clean and dry your clothes and shoes after a day of walking, biking and exploring on the Skellig Coast